Monday 27 January 2014

"Fake" Sausage Paella

J asked for Paella... "Fake" Paella as I call it as he doesn't like sea food - and for me, if it doesn't have at least a few prawns, it's not Paella.

We skipped our weekly shop, so our fridge is quite empty... Nonetheless, I managed to pull this one off.

"Fake" Paella 


Here's what I used:

- 8 thick fresh pork sausages, skin removed (I didn't have any other meat)
- 2 small onions, finely diced
- Olive oil (+/- 2 tablespoons)
- Garlic Granules
- Smoked Paprika (+/- 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- Chorizo (I used 6 large thin slices of Spanish Chorizo from a packet)
- Turmeric (1 tablespoon)
- Rice (I used +/- 2 mugs of long grain rice)
- Salt
- 1 chicken stock cube
- Frozen Peas
- Dried Parsley


First I removed the skin from the sausages and cut them into chunks.
In a large frying pan heat olive oil and then fry the sausage.
Once the sausage gets a bit of colour, add the onion and garlic granules (and a bit more olive oil if pan is too dry) and let it fry. 

"Fake" Paella

Add the chorizo (I chopped mine into tiny bits using scissors) and sprinkle with paprika, let it cook for a couple of minutes.

Then add the rice and mix well, making sure it gets covered with the frying pan juices/fat.
Pour about one mug of stock, add turmeric and let the rice soak. The rice will soon absorb the stock, so carry on adding more stock, (or boiling water when your stock runs out), just like you do with risotto.


When the rice is soft, but still has a bite to it (it took me about 12 minutes) add frozen peas and dried parsley.
If the rice is practically cooked, but is getting really dry and sticking to the pan, careful, don't add too much water - just add enough to finish cooking. Check seasoning, and add salt if necessary - mine only needed a pinch, as sausages, chorizo and stock are naturally salty.

... And that's it! "Fake" Sausage Paella. Quick, inexpensive and tasty.
I made loads, so we'll have a nice leftover lunch tomorrow.

"Fake" Paella
 
Let me know if you have a go ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment