Thursday 13 December 2012

Amazing Chocolate Cake!

Chocolate cake is not my favourite (I'm more of a lemon drizzle cake kinda gal), but I hold my hands up - this was probably one of the best chocolate cake I ever had! Definitely the best chocolate cake I ever baked.
It was just sooooo good I could have eaten the whole thing by myself... so, I took most of it to work so M. and I couldn't eat it all as we would feel guilty because we are on a perpetual diet.

I got inspiration from this recipe, but deviated from the recipe as usual.

Here's what I used:

  • 3 cups flour (I used self-raising)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 ½ tablespoon baking soda (the photo has baking powder, but I did use baking soda)
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup of chocolate powder (I used Tesco's drinking chocolate powder)
  • 1 ⅓ cups vegetable oil
  • 1 pack of buttermilk (284 ml)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup freshly brewed strong coffee (I brewed a NescafĂ© Dolce Gusto Americano capsule)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 pack of plain chocolate
  • 1 pack of milk chocolate
  • +/- 200 ml of whipping cream

Chocolate Cake

Spray a large round cake tin and line the bottom with parchment paper.

In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, chocolate powder.

Chocolate Cake

Add oil and buttermilk and combine using the mixer on low speed.

Chocolate Cake

Add eggs one at a time.

Chocolate Cake

Add coffee slowly.

Chocolate Cake

Mix that bad boy!!

Chocolate Cake

Pour batter onto the tin.

Chocolate Cake

Bang in the oven, preheated at 170ÂșC.

It took me about one hour for it to be baked.


When the cake is almost ready (last 10 minutes of baking), start preparing the ganache. 
Easy peasy: Hot water in pan, bowl inside pan, chocolate and cream inside bowl, wait until it starts melting, mix - done!

Chocolate Cake

Chocolate Cake

Set it aside and let it cool for a bit.

By this time your cake should be ready, so take it out and let it cool for a bit.

Chocolate Cake

I turned my cake upside down because the bottom was prettier.

Chocolate Cake

Spread the ganache all over the cake, the counter and yourself.

Chocolate Cake

I must say that I was rushing so I didn't do a very good job (had to pick up J. from work)... I just wanted the cake done and ready, no time to make it look perfect!

I don't think any of these pictures makes this cake any justice! Each slice was so moist and yummy, it was great! (I really should have taken a picture of a slice)

Anyway, if you need a chocolate fix, I seriously recommend to have a go at this - I can't wait until I bake it again!


No comments:

Post a Comment